Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Big Flower Tutorial

 You said yes please, so here you go.

I first made these flowers when I made my wedding dress.
Instead of the big butt bow (that was very popular in the early nineties) I had three of these flowers.

I made them again for the big girl flower girl dresses, for my sisters wedding.

So here you go are you ready.

I used organza from Joann's Casa collection, it is my favorite.
It is 60" wide. I am sure you can use what ever you want,
but the wider the fabric, the fatter your flower is going to be.

You need to make a bias seam


I was not very smart and sewed on the line and now have a gray line on the middle of my flower :(
Don't do what I did, use the line as a guide and sew 1/4" away from the line.


Fold in half and baste it together



Make sure that your seam is not twisted, and laying flat.


I totally cheated,
I have an industrial serger,
 it is my happy place,
it gathers while I sew.
I know you are jealous and you totally should be.
If I were you without this piece of heaven in your sewing room, I would first finish the edge either with your cute little home serger, or with a zig zag stitch on your sewing machine.
Then gather it up with you favorite gathering method,
you want it to be tightly gathered.
You might want to gather it twice,
gather, and then gather the gathers if that makes sense, because it totally makes sense to me.
It helps down the road to have it gathered super tight.

This is the most confusing part and should have taken another picture of me sewing this part.
Put your strip under your sewing foot starting at the folded edge.
Back tack a few stitches sew to the gathering, pull the threads back to the top.
DO NOT CUT THE THREADS
Repeat every two to three inches down the entire length of the strip.
Back tack
sew to the gathering
pull the threads back to the top
repeat.

This is why you don't cut your thread

You need it to gather

Your cute petal

It is possible that you don't have to tie the ends but I don't dare.
I don't want to risk gathering all the petals and then having them come undone.








See there in the upper left hand corner, there is the gray pencil line.

Now it is going to bug you that you know it is there, huh.

There you go let me know how it turns out for you.
I can't wait to see other peoples version.


4 comments:

  1. this is very cool. I'm gonna have to try this. Thanks for the tutorial. Good job BTW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an easy to follow tutorial! Thank you for the detailed steps. It looks lovely! Thanks for joining us and sharing with us this awesome post at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    PS: Your posts about Rainbow Quilt, Ticker Tape Bag, Ring Around the Rosies Dress, Field of Poppies Dress, and Tulip Dress are all gorgeous! Your girls must be so happy to own these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh. I want to try this. I just 'pinned' it. Thanks! Now I simply MUST get up and start this day. Glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great tutorial and such a pretty flower, more so than most. I don't have a fancy machine, you think I can get the same result by gathering a "tube" of fabric then gluing? Am I missing steps? Thx, E

    ReplyDelete