Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tragedy of Tragedies

Tragedy of all tragedies happened at our house a couple of weeks ago, and I am now just telling you about it. OK maybe "tragedy" may be a bit harsh, but to a mother of four girls this counts.

It happened back on the 15th of June. I was down stairs cutting out the circles for my quilt and Lala came running down stairs. she said the words that just cut to a mother's soul "Baby Sister cut her hair"
Now I know I may be being dramatic here but really to a mother of girls this is hard. I mean they were all born bald, hence the name of my blog (bolo means bald in Hawaiian) I wait for their hair to grow and get long as soon as I can I start putting ponies in their hair. I look forward to the day that their hair is long enough for curlers, and can I just tell you that baby Sister's hair was so cute curly. I always come up with funky ways of putting it up, and try to match hair thingies to outfits. 

Also I think I need to let you in on some of my own history here, so you can further understand the trauma of hair cuts for me. 

When I was in fourth grade my hair was down to my waist and I loved it, apparently my mother didn't, which I can understand now that I am the mom long hair can get irritating but still I love it. So here is what happened my mom came to me one day and said that her friend was going to cut my hair. I was OK with that and at first though I didn't think much of it. I also didn't think much of it when my loving mother put my hair in a pony, braided it and said OK let's go. Next thing I knew I was sitting in the chair and my braid was sitting in my lap. I was in complete shock, I could see the end of my hair out of the corner of my eye. It was not over she kept cutting I did not get a cute bob but a mom cut, I walked in looking like a girl and walked out looking like a boy, or at least like a little version of my mother. The next day at school boys were coming up to me saying are you the new boy in school? You kind of look like this girl who went to our school named Robyn, but we can tell you are a boy so you can't be her. My mother kept me hair short until I was a teenager and rebeled against her and started growing it out. Good looking would like for me to cut my hair short but I just can't do it.

I hope that gives you some idea of why I hate what she (baby sister) did on June 15th.

This is what I imagine happened, the neighbor was cutting flowers with a pair of scissors and baby sister saw this and thought that might be fun. She went on the house and found her own pair of scissors and started cutting the weeds (we still don't have flowers in the flower beds) It was a bit breezy that day and I hadn't got her hair done yet, so as the breeze blew her hair in her face she thought it would be a good idea to just cut that piece off, and the next, and the next, and kept going until she had given herself a mullet.

So here for your viewing pleasure Baby Sister the hair stylist.
   

For fun, here is a close up of that face

I think she is thinking... maybe this wasn't the best idea.

looking left

looking right

The back, oh my the back

the evidence

all in the grass.

Now thankfully my sister in law cuts hair. We have tried to get into the girls heads that only Auntie Staci cuts hair, that is what we told baby sister the last time she cut her bangs (when she was two) because she didn't want them anymore. 

We got in the car and headed to Staci's house and she worked her magic.
She still is not sure about it.

I kept asking her does it have to be that short? She kept saying to me I am not the one who started it, I am the one trying to fix it.



Here is the end result...

I promise I did not choke her, (although I might have thought about it) that mark on her neck is from the hair cutting cape.


I would have to agree with what my brother said when he saw this picture.
"Why is that boy wearing a dress"
Brothers are fun

The other issue that I have with this whole situation is this if I had a boy this is the hair cut he would have. I would not shave his head and keep it super short, I would have the long bangs and tussled hair. I realise that some time has passed but I still hate it. All I want is a pony tail in the back of her head. maybe some little buns, for sure some curlers. I guess I will just have to get over it.
  

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. As the mom of 7 girls I have my stories too. The worst was that when they all had long hair in the same color, finding hair on the floor and not being able to know who did it. I punished the wrong kid. I cried. I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nanette I had no idea you had SEVEN daughters, that is why we have stopped with four. There are no boys in our future until the girls get married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robyn, my mother did the same thing to me when I was in kindergarten. My hair was all the way down my back, but when I slept it knotted BAD, so it was a fight every morning. So my mother decided I needed a pixie cut. I also got made fun of at school by the boys. Since then I have never cut my hair shorter than shoulder length!

    I have 3 girls and I know it's heartbreaking when they cut their hair. DD#1 once cut off her bangs completely because she wanted all one length hair and didn't realize you had to let it grow out. DD#2 cut almost like your daughter did. DD#3 got tired of bangs in her eyes, so she cut it herself too. We weren't able to "fix" their hair cuts because they were so severe.

    Your daughter's new hair cut is cute and it will be easy to take care of this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for you, dearie, because I can tell this really hurts you; but I'm also laughing because I did the same thing long ago. My mother had four girls and all had long hair because she liked it. I hated wearing a pony tail all the time, especially with no bangs. So I cut some myself. When she saw it, she told me that if I ever did it again, she'd fix it for me. And that she did! Next time I cut it (just a very little!) she noticed and her fix was to cut my bangs right up to the scalp with pinking shears! It was terrible!!! Don't worry ... hair always grows out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, she still looked cute :-)
    Same thing happened to me as you in fourth grade. Apparently I had my head sticking out the car window for most of a 4 hour drive, and when we got home and the hair brush broke trying to get it through the tangled mess; my put me back in the car to go get it ALL chopped off. Much like your sweet baby girl. We called it a 'pixie' cut.
    2 weeks ago my grandson, who is normally pretty handsome, gave himself a bowl cut from ear to ear around the perimeter of his face--1/4 inch long. He looked retarded! Like a young Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber. I almost cried. Only solution to fix it has left him looking like he's ready to go into the Marines ;-) Luckily, it always grows back.

    ReplyDelete